Dyslexia A2Z News
> Back to Learning Difficulties
> Dyslexia Home
> What is Dyslexia?
> Definition of Dyslexia
> What Causes Dyslexia?
> Infant Checklist
> Children's Checklist
> Voice Recognition Software (VRS)
> The same bedtime story!
> Spelling - Generally
> Reading - Generally
> Dyslexia Treatment
> Exam Concessions
> Computers & Software
> Dyslexia & Bullying
> Typing Packages
> Useful Aids & Equipment
> Dyslexia FAQ's
> Dyslexia & Foreign Languages
> Fatty Acids
> Famous Dyslexics
> Dyslexia Myths
> Dyslexia & Music
> Success Stories
> Help & Advice
> Facebook Forum
> Set up a Support Group
> Links Page
> Poems about Dyslexia
> Dyslexia Book list
> Dyslexia Tutor
> Specialist Schools
> Education Centres
> Dyslexia Test Centres
> Disabled Student's Allowance
> Disability Living Allowance
> Disability Discrimination Act
> Legal Advice
> About Us
> Contact Us
> Site Map
dyslexia & driving tests
Before you can take your driving test, you need to take a theory test. There are special arrangements for dyslexic students to help them with the 'written word'.
driving Theory Test & special arrangements for dyslexic students
Most people are allowed 40 minutes for the Driving Theory Test. However, if you are dyslexic you are allowed to apply for extra time. (An extra 40 minutes is allowed.)
Dyslexic Students and Extra Time
If you are going to ask for extra time:
• Tell the person on the telephone you are dyslexic
• You will need a letter from a teacher, psychologist or other dyslexia specialist, explaining your reading ability, then
• Send the letter to the Driving Test Centre; allow time for the letter to be processed, then
• Telephone again for your appointment.
Preparing for your Theory Test
You can do a lot to practice for your theory test.
1. Get a copy of the latest CD-Rom. The questions are in multiple choice format i.e., pick one out of four.
2. Practise your Driving Theory Test online with the Official Theory Test Online. (This has two free online tests.)
When you go for your Theory Test
• Make sure you are in plenty of time.
• The test will be taken on a 'touch screen computer'.
• You are allowed to practice on the system for 15 minutes before your test.
• You can ask to listen to the questions through a headset if you would like to.
• There are 35 questions, if you do not know an answer, mark the question number and come back to it.
• Take your time.
• Don’t panic!
• Your test will be marked while you wait (about half-an-hour). You will then receive feedback about your result and information on any errors.
Official Theory Test for CD-ROM.
Practice your Driving Theory Test with the official Theory test on a CD-ROM. This uses a similar layout to the one in the test and includes similar questions, and explains the answers.
Official Theory Test Online.
Practise your Driving Theory Test online with the Official Theory Test Online. (This has two free online tests.)
Official DSA Mock Theory Test
Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers
Official Driving Theory Test Book.